Beware the route sales/driver who comes to your door unsolicited and tells you he will hold the check two days so he can make the sale. I believed this guy, and that very night he deposited my check and the $50 purchase I made from him has now cost me an additional $35 NSF charges and $30 bad check fee that they threatened to report to the credit bureau.

Isn't that something? I had no intention of buying anything from them, the sales guy comes to my door as I am just home from work (was he stalking me?) and when I tell him I am broke for the next couple of days, he tells me that he will hold my check. He DID NOT.

The some of the food was good, some of it was no better than the grocery store, but none of it was worth twice the market price, which is what it has cost me with the fees.

Never trust a Schwan's man, and NEVER take him at his word!

If you don't have money in the bank -- you don't write a check!

Our Schwan's guy is great!I've been with them since 2008.

They are pretty pricey, but I am paying for convenience.My favorite thing from them is the fried rice...YUM!!

Gaylord, Michigan, United States #997433

This is an old post it is now illegal to post date checks and or hold checks for any length of time. All monies made on that day must by law be deposited on that day.

I have been a Schwans customer for over 20 years, and have never, ever had a problem other than a couple times when ordering online, having the wrong delivery date, but then, that was my fault for not dropping down the little box to select the date of delivery.

My delivery guys have ALWAYS been polite, helpful and very knowledgeable of the products. One driver, years ago while I was in Iowa, even played with my little son to keep him out of my hair while I was deciding on my order. My son always looked forward to that so much. Also, the drivers I have had work very very long hours, sometimes till after 11pm if someone wants delivery that late,,, which I do at times with my work schedule. They carry it right to my door, which is a huge convenience also. Too bad my local store can't follow me home to do that lol.

Some products are higher priced than at the store, but many are about the same price or less even. And the quality is wonderful. There have only been a couple products I haven't liked and I just don't order them again.

Thank you to all the hard working drivers out there. And to those so quick to judge, try the job yourself once... I am sure you won't judge so quickly next time... what is the old saying? Walk a mile in his moccasins? Just saying.

I know that Schwan's is having problems with their scheduling program online (NOT the drivers fault, BTW!), but why would you buy something when you knew you didn't have enough money in the bank to cover it? That just doesn't make sense.

There IS Schwan's Pay Card, that let's you buy and not have it taken out of your checking account for 14 days, but you have to apply for it, and I think you have to already be a customer.

Post dated checks are chancy at ANY time. The rule of thumb is just don't do it.

I love most of Schwan's food. And, like anywhere else, something being economical or tasting good is a matter of preference.

I use food stamps with Schwan's (most of the time). I can get 2 1/2lb bags of whole kernel corn for $4.99. I watch for their specials, in case they have something that I like. And every other month, I order something as a treat (I don't get many treats). Popcorn shrimp is my favorite. I've tried their Chicken Pot Pies (heavenly!), potato skins (fantastic!), steak bites (way too spicy for me), tater rounds (great, but I don't think they offer them anymore). I can consciously choose healthy food (LiveSmart)

to Schwan's Customer since 2009 #1071042

Learned that the hard way.11 yrs as a Schwan's customer with no issues, and it only took once time for me to not use their Schwan's pay again.

We get paid on the 1st and the 15th. If I put in the date to deposit as the 1st or the 15, then I expect that to happen. When I put in a deposit date of the 13th (early pay day), they held the funds all the way until the 21st of the month, then deposited. It threw everything off, and I wound up having to pay an insufficient funds fee by my bank and Schwan's.

Learned my lesson, will not use Schwan's Pay again. It sounds good, and if they actually kept to the schedule, it would not be so bad.

But one screw up was enough for me.I can't afford to have that kind of thing happen.

to Anonymous Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States #1083225

That's your own fault! You knew that you were obligated to pay, just because the withdraw was prolonged a few days, you STILL knew about the payment owed and should not have spent the money allocated for your Schwan's order. I apologize but this sounds like your careless spending and accountability on your behalf.

if you dont have money dont right ck

Thank u Mr k and wife!

Ha!you got suckered by a Schwans *** Man!

They will tell you anything to get you to buy because they are under intense pressure from management to bring in new customers. They are taught to lie.

The best thin to do is NEVER buy from this crooked, pathetic company.It's overpriced garbage

Mr. K

Okay, I'm a Schwans driver. I shouldn't be responding because we're really not supposed to, but what the ***.

There's a couple of things posted here that don't make sense. First, we aren't supposed to take post-dated checks, but we will "charge" a sale if the customer can't pay that day and we can't do that for a new customer, the "charge" option on our handheld computers is not there. The reason for the Schwan Pay debit card is meant to deter drivers from holding checks.

Also, there was a post about someone who didn't get service for a $250 pre-order. There isn't a Schwans man I know who wouldn't salivate for a new customer with that kind of order- it's our bread and butter. Either the order didn't get communicated to the driver or whoever received the information didn't get the right address or phone number. Either way, it seem very unlikely that a Schwans guy that works the kind of hours we do would turn away a sale like that.

Yes, we do generally work 14-16 hours a day, sometimes 6 days a week. It serves us no purpose whatsoever to be rude or pushy to our customers, we can't afford a poor reputation since our entire business is built on word of mouth. Notice we do no other advertisment.

Mr. K

to Mr. K #1071043

Yeah, our driver was a very nice guy, and very helpful. Hard to believe the drivers are not nice.

I agree that if a driver promised to hold a check, then he should have held it. However, it could have been an honest mistake. I would have talked to the driver to see how he responded to my complaint before deciding how to proceed.

Schwans drivers work very long hours and most are very polite and hard working. My delivery driver is an incredibly polite, helpful person. He spends time with my 3 year old and he *helps* with delivering the food inside the house and gets a treat for it most visits.

My driver also does things like helping me get my dog in the house before he leaves and he brings the dogs treats every visit, which is the reason I have difficulty getting her in the house, she's hoping to get another treat!

I think people need to learn to communicate in our society. If you have a problem with a delivery driver, then talk to him *before* you post it on the internet!!!

I just want to say that while I personally hate schwans for the way that they treat their employees, blaming it on the drivers is not the way to go.My husband has been with the company almost 2 years.

We have 3 kids and I'm pregnant with our fourth. He barely gets to see his family... he misses baseball games and birthday parties... he's very dedicated to his job.

he just has that kind of work ethic. I wish he could find another job around here that would pay as much, but there just aren't a lot of jobs to be found. I completely undersatnd frustration with the company itself, believe me. But don't take it out on the drivers.

There may be a few inconsiderate jerks out there, but most of them are decent hardworkers who are just trying to support families...otherwise, they wouldn't put up with the bulls**t that comes with the job!

Atfullcount...I agree with you that they should have held your check.

However, if you plan on boycotting Schwan's food products, you will need to check the boxes from your grocery store, before purchasing it.

Schwan's owns a lot of companies, and Schwan's stocks the shelves at your local grocery store, they just wear the store's tag. Bet ya didn't know that. Look on the back of Red Baron, Tony's and Freschetta pizza just to name a few and you will see their logos, not to mention Edwards and Mrs. Smith's Pie.

I no longer buy from Schwan's or any of their food companies, either. I don't like the way they treat their employees.

I don't know, we had our first experience with a Shwan's driver who came to our hosue the other day. He was very polite, not pushy at all. He simply gave us a catalog, we spent 5-10 minutes looking at it, and we ordered $50 worth of food. We will order something from him every two weeks most likely becuase the food we've eatne so far is very good - definitely better than what you get at Sam's in most cases and just as good (although more expensive) than Hannaford.

You're really paying a little extra for convenience in the end I suppose. I'm friend swith a Shwan's manager and we had tried some of his Shwan's food and like it alot, so he sent the driver to our house. No problems here.

What's especially nice about it is chances are he will show up when we are out of something in the future that we would like to have right then. Since we live 30 minutes from a grocery store we can just buy it right off the truck.

If he ever insulted us or got pushy I'd kick him out and tell him we're done. problem solved. But he simply isn't that kind of person.

There does seem to be a lot of fury against the company by former/current employees though. That's a shame. Management really needs to get that under control before they rot from the inside out.

I gave schwans a second chance man I should have stayed away.We were sent a $10 voucher for anything from them for free up to $10.Several years ago we were customers and purchased at least $30 each time.Most of the time way more.Once we even bought over $250 worth.Then we preordered and nobody ever showed.We called the local office and was told someone would be out but never did.Then we got this voucher.All went well till this week.I went to order online and noticed "Deliver date to be determined at checkout".Got on the live chat and was basically told a bunch of bs.Basically they dropped us again.Well they better never show up at my door again or someone will have a very nasty day.This is crazy!! They cant keep people if they treat them like *** but they also wont keep customers.I hope this company is another company swe soon see that is OUT OF BUISNESS.

All I can tell you is that even though I agree a lot of this food is "pricey" the quality is really good.It's by far the healthiest frozen food out there.

As far as the drivers go there are indeed out there 14-16 hours a day knocking from door to door hoping to get a sale or get fired. My man is still out there after 3 years because he knows no one else will give him medical insurance for his wife (me) that has been battling cancer on and off for 5 years. Don't diss your drivers cause they are not all the same. As far as Schwan's goes their food is great, there pay sucks hard, their "family values" are BS but hey it pays the bills...

at least for now.(BTW the whole "check" thing they can hold it, the driver that did that to you might have done an honest mistake by not putting it aside, but yea next time you don't have the money use the 2 week card which they offer with not additional fees)

Eastport, Maine, United States #90121

LOLPMP - get your head out of your @ss.The driver lied to the customer to make a sale.

The customer asked him if he would be willing to hold and check and the driver stright-up lied.

This is deceptive and if this happened to me, I would be pissed as well.

Please explain to me again how it's the customer's fault the driver lied to him?

Do you post date checks at walmart and sams or any grocery store ? I highly doubt it.

That was your fault not the drivers, but he did deceive you if he said he would. If you have any sence just apply for a schwans card that lets you post date out to 2 weeks!

Food not better than Sams? LOL you don't know your food very well. You dont pay for weighted down meat that has a ton of ice on it from water flashing that you pay for. Yah thats right all retailers dip or spray their meat with water and freeze it BEFORE weighing it.

A good customer will buy what they need for 2 weeks and not stock up and spend 200.00 and they become regular 2 week buyers.

But most think drivers are delivery boys and will call you on their off days wanting service and get mad if your out of stock because the customer doesnt bother to pre-order anything to hold it for them.

Lets face it, these guys work 14-16 hours a day and most allot of them do it 6 days a week, that breaks down to darn near slave labor prices, so remember that the next time you wanna dis a scwans driver.